Frequently Asked Questions

Criminal history records are only available from the Illinois State Police.

For information on how to get a criminal conviction expunged, visit the Office of the State Appellate Defender’s website. Additionally, for information on how to get a criminal conviction expunged in Cook County, visit the Clerk of the Circuit Court of Cook County.

ICJIA is a state agency dedicated to improving the administration of criminal justice in four areas: 1) information systems and technology; 2) research and analysis; 3) policy and planning; and 4) grants administration. ICJIA does not provide legal services.

For information on obtaining an attorney, visit The Illinois Bar Association.

For those who cannot afford legal services, many state and local organizations across Illinois offer pro bono legal advice and representation. They include:

Court records must be requested from the circuit court in which the court proceeding occurred. View a list of Illinois circuit court clerks. View a list of Illinois circuit clerks.

View the Illinois Department of Corrections Offender Search page to find current information on offenders and inmates. Information also is available to the general public through the Illinois Department of Corrections Public Information Office at (217) 522-2666, ext. 2008, between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.

If you are a victim of identity theft or just want more information on the crime, view the Illinois Attorney General’s Illinois Identity Theft Hotline page or call the hotline toll-free at (866) 999-5630 or (877) 844-5461 (TTY).

Don’t see an answer to your question? Email